Southeast Regional Center

Transition to Adulthood

Transition planning to adulthood is the process of moving from child services to adult services. If you have questions about your child’s transition to adulthood; please call the Resource Center at 1-800-234-5437.

Here are some focus areas to consider when planning your child’s transition:


Your child’s school district will play a key role in the transition to adulthood. Beginning at age 14, his or her Individual Education Plan (IEP) will address the transition process. One tool is the Postsecondary Transition Plan (PTP), it will walk teams through each transition goal in detail, including employment, education options, living arrangements and community involvement. Transition Planning Tool.


Supported Decision-Making

In some cases, youth with special health care needs may need formal support to guide financial, medical or other decisions.  

Wisconsin Guardianship Support Center is a statewide resource regarding information about guardianship-related issues.

Wisconsin Board for People with Developmental Disabilites has toolkits and webinars on Supported Decision Making and Guardianship Alternatives

Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) is a place to get accurate information on all aspects of life related to aging or living with a disability as an adult.

Here are some additional resources as your child transitions to adult services:

Call Children's Resource Center-Southeast at 800-234-KIDS (5437)

Located in the Daniel M. Soref Family Resource Center at Children's Wisconsin
8915 W. Connell Court, Milwaukee, WI
Open 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday

© Southeast Regional Center 2023